Sunday 3 January 2010

Week 10 : Menus & more music

With the music system in place it was time to create the games menu systems. For another module I had been using the Microsoft Game State Management sample @:

This is a very well thought system that handles the games menus but also the game state. I would have used this from the very beginning, but in the early days of this project I wasn't comfortable enough with polymorphism,inheritance & events to risk using it. However, while it was too late to use it in this project I could still replicate some of its structure when making my own menus.

Like the music player, my menu system reads the state of the game and determines what to display and make of the player input at certain states in the game. There are two different menus and two screens , all of which read input from any connected game pad.

Here's a video in which I play around with the game menus and music system:


- Logo screen : Displays the games logo and then displays 'Press Start' once the game has been loaded
- How to screen : Displays instructions on how to play the game, 'B' or 'Back' can be pressed to return to the main menu
- Main menu: Has three menu entries that allows for the game lobby to be run, a how to screen to be displayed and the game to exit.
- Pause menu: Has two menu entries, resume and quit(which returns to the main menu)

The menu transitioning and effects could be improved upon but creating the system took longer than I expected so any additions will have to be made during polish & contingency time.

No comments:

Post a Comment